Are you ready to file a Housebound or A&A claim?

If you are a veteran and have a disability, you may be eligible for compensation through a government program such as Housebound or Aid & Attendance.

However, applying for benefits can become complicated, and you may want assistance in preparing and submitting your claim. The first step is to determine whether you are eligible for one of these programs.

Additional benefits

Perhaps you receive disability compensation because you have an illness or injury related to your active duty military service. Are you substantially housebound because of a permanent disability? Do you require assistance from another person for daily living activities? If so, you may qualify for additional compensation through either the Homebound or Aid & Attendance programs.

Meeting the requirements

If you are a veteran or surviving spouse with eligibility for a Veterans Administration pension, you may also be eligible for Housebound or Aid & Attendance. Both programs increase your monthly pension amount if you meet certain conditions. For example, the A&A program has specific requirements:

  •         You need help from another person to perform routine daily activities such as eating, bathing, dressing, grooming and toileting
  •         You are bedridden due to your disability
  •         You are a nursing home patient because of your physical or mental incapacity
  •         You have limited eyesight that matches program guidelines

Even if you have too much income to qualify for a basic pension, you may qualify for one of these programs. However, keep in mind that neither veterans nor surviving spouses can receive benefits from Housebound and A&A at the same time.

Providing information

You may wish to explore the opportunity for legal assistance to navigate the application process. The Pension Management Center in each state manages both Housebound and Aid & Assistance applications for care. The information you provide should show evidence of your disability, including a report from your physician confirming you require such care. Your claim should contain details concerning your need for different types of assistance, the daily activities you are able to perform on your own and how well you are able to get around. Though a somewhat complicated effort, filing a claim would be worth looking into. Additional monetary help from the government could be as high as $2,169 a month, tax-free.

Leave a Reply